Thursday, December 18, 2014

Sisterhood of Widows S.O.W.  Psalm 126:5-6  Please share on your Facebook so that others can see my blogs and maybe help them through their grief.

But I trust in your unfailing love, my heart rejoices in your salvation:  Psalm 13:5 NIV

I had the privilege back in November to attend a Christian widow's conference given by a ministry named A Widow's Might.  I got to meet so many strong and amazing women that are on the same journey as me.  The team of writers for this ministry are incredible and they love Jesus.  I fell in love with their writing and this group of women "get it".  If you have not checked out their website and Facebook page, please do so as soon as possible.  Their postings will really speak to your heart and soul.  Their love for Jesus and for other widows is amazing.

I decided to go to this conference because I wanted to meet other Christian widows and to prove to myself that I can step out of my comfort zone to travel and stay by myself for a weekend.  I signed up for this conference back in June and had to wait until November to leave, so as you can see I had a lot of time to think about my trip.  I love to travel but once the date arrives, I start to get nervous.  On the Friday morning of my departure, I did get nervous.  My dad drove me to the airport and dropped me off at my airline.  I got through check in and decided to treat myself to an ice tea.  As I sat there enjoying my drink, I started thinking of ways to bolt out of there and go back home.  I took a couple of deep breaths and said a couple of prayers and was able to calm myself down.  I started thinking how much trust we put into others in our lives.  That weekend I had to trust:

The airline to get me to Point A to Point B safely.

My parents and family to take care of my beautiful daughter Emily.

Sixty to seventy women that I had never met.

Myself to take full advantage of what this weekend had to offer.

Jesus to open my heart and mind and let His Word speak to me in new ways.

I also had to trust that Jesus was sending me out there for a purpose far bigger than myself.  So I got up from that table and made my way through security.  I finally arrived at my gate and found a place to sit down.  The waiting area was getting full and seats were filling up. I noticed a couple walking up and looking for a seat.  Since I had space to move down, I waved them over and told them they could sit by me.  They both thanked me and the wife sat down next to me.  Her husband put his luggage on his chair and walked away for a few minutes.  The wife had her body positioned away from me, but she turned her head enough to talk to me and she asked me if I was going anywhere fun.  For a couple of seconds I sat and thought to myself, "Do I tell her I am going to a conference or to a widow's conference".  Do I tell her the truth and bring the start of their trip down or do I use this moment for God's purpose. So I begin to tell her that I am going to a Christian widow's conference and that it's our first big conference and how excited I was about attending but not so excited about leaving home.  She whipped around and looked at me and said, "Oh my goodness, I can't believe this."  She began to tell me that her husband had just been diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor and his prognosis wasn't very good.  She was surprising her him with a trip to Washington D.C. to tour museums and to visit with family and friends.  She told me that hadn't told very many people about his condition.  She started asking me questions about the ministry and other resources that are out there for widows.  As we sat and talked, my heart filled with despair for her because I know the journey she will be making.  I was also thanking God for setting up a meeting that we both needed.  She needed to know that there are Christian resources for widows, and I needed to know that I am doing what God wants me to do.  As they got up to board the airplane, I bent toward her and told her that I would be praying for them and that I would not forget them.  She thanked me as her eyes swelled with tears and told me she might see me on Facebook or on the website for A Widows Might.  I was blown away by this encounter.

I knew once they walked away I was following God's call by going to the conference.  My TRUST in God and His timing was confirmed at that moment.  As I sat on the plane and we were taking off, I gave my total trust to Him.  In Romans 15:13 NIV it states, "May the God of hope fill you with all the joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit".  That trust in Him does fill you with peace.  The rest of my trip I didn't worry about anything there or back at home.  Giving everything to God freed me up to worship Him without distractions.  I was able to meet so many wonderful women and to fellowship for two days.  And did I mention we were right on the beach and my balcony faced a beautiful pier.  I was able to open my sliding glass door and let the sound of the ocean fill my room.  I walked away from that weekend with a refreshed mind and soul.  I'll tell you the truth, I didn't want to leave.  I left behind so many new sisters and a couple of very special new friends.  I have found a special group of women that "get it" and I miss them very much.

Have you put your trust into the Lord?  I trust that He will deliver me without fail.  I trust that He has a plan for my life that is bigger than I could have ever imagined.  I trust that He will fill my life with hope, joy, peace, and love.  I trust that He will bless me and my daughter beyond what we deserve.  If I don't trust Him completely, then I feel like I don't have any hope for the future that I envision.  I pray that each of you reading this will put your total trust in God and tell Him,  Lord Your will, Your way!! 

Lord I pray that each day I am willing and able to put my total trust in you and your plan for my life.  Thank you for putting the right people in my life at the right time and I pray that they put their trust in you also.  The freedom of surrendering my life to you is immeasurable.  I know Lord that you will not steer me wrong and that the only path to follow is the path you have laid out before me.  Lord thank you for my salvation and I pray that my family and friends that have not put their faith and trust in you will do so very soon, maybe tonight!!!  In Jesus precious name I pray, Amen!!

No comments:

Post a Comment