Tuesday, May 12, 2015

A Little About Us




Sisterhood of Widows S.O.W.  Psalm 126:5-6  Please share on your Facebook so that others can see my blogs and maybe help them through their grief.

In an instant my life changed dramatically.  In an instant I went from being a happily married woman of 18 years with a nine year old daughter to becoming a widow and single mom.  In an instant my life fell into a chaotic tangled mess that had no bottom.  The pain was sudden, deep, and relentless.  You see, Kirk died suddenly at his mechanics shop working on our personal vehicle.  He hadn't come home that Saturday evening and Emily and I were worried so we went to check on him.  We found him but unfortunately it was too late.  Kirk was gone.  What were we going to do?  How were we going to move on?  How will I raise my daughter by myself?  But the question I kept asking God was Why?  Why did you take such a great man and daddy?  Why would you leave Emily without her daddy that adored her and she was his baby girl?  WHY?  I cried this out so many times, far too many to count.  How will we ever live on with the pain, that relentless down to your soul pain?

Once I was able to find some footing and we started seeing our counselor at our church, she pointed me toward several scriptures that she thought would help.  I also like to relate with others that have asked God the same why question.  As I searched, I came across David and Psalm 142.  David cried out to God because King Saul chased him for several years and it is said David wrote this Psalm in a cave.  Psalm 142:1-2 NIV David wrote, "I cry aloud to the Lord; I lift up my voice to the Lord for mercy.  I pour out before him my complaint; before him I tell my trouble."  If David, whom had won God's heart as a young teenager, went through several years of running and waiting, then who was I to think I was immune to tragedy in my own life.  David went on to defeat Saul and became King.  What is even more rewarding is that God blessed David by Jesus being from his blood line.  How incredible is that?  So I decided to quit asking why and start asking, What can I do to give you all the glory in my circumstance?  The answer was to blog and to reach back to help other widows that are in the same boat as I am. 

So my question to you is what will you do?  We all have a decision on how to deal with our grief.  We can turn our back on God and try to handle it ourselves or we can lean on God and let him take our yolk.  As I was reading my One Year New Testament yesterday, I came across a story in John 6 where Jesus is with his disciples and others that had gathered with them.  As Jesus was teaching them, some of the people did not like what he was saying.  Some of the people starting complaining and grumbling.  They ended up turning away from Jesus and physically walked away from Him.  Jesus looked at  his disciples and asked them if they were going to leave him too.  Peter, my personal favorite disciple, replied, "Lord to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life.  We believe and know you are the Holy One of God."  When I read that I was like, yes where else do we go? I pick with Jesus and I sure hope you do too!!!  John 14: 6-7 NIV Jesus tells us, "I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me.  If you really know me, you will know my Father as well.  From now on, you do know him and have seen him." 

This Sunday May 17th would have been Kirk's birthday.  I write this blog to honor Kirk but most importantly to honor God for all He has done for me.  Thank you Lord for blessing me with the years I had with Kirk and for blessing us with Emily.  Amen!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment